Most people know that smoking is bad for your health and eating too much processed food can be detrimental, there are many other subtle bad habits that can also slowly sabotage your well-being.
Some of these habits can be hard to recognize, especially if they’re part of your normal routine. You may not notice any harmful effects right away, but over time they can take a serious toll on your relationships, physical health, and psychological wellness. We made a list of 11 ordinary things we do that can cause damage to our health, with us none the wiser. Take care!
11. Sleeping on your side or stomach
Many of us prefer sleeping in a position we fall asleep better in. However, this habit can cause different health issues, some of them quite serious if not addressed in a timely manner. When you sleep on your side, in the so-called foetal position, you prevent your diaphragm from moving freely, which causes various issues, including back pain and lung problems.
Sleeping on your stomach is, in its turn, even more dangerous as it puts pressure on all of your organs, leading in the long run to nerve damage and heart issues. That leaves sleeping on your back, which is best because it is the most natural of the three. The only case where you should avoid this position is if you suffer from sleep apnea.
10. Not minding your posture
Correct posture means the symmetrical position of all the organs. Take care of your spine – adjust your office chair and monitor it correctly. Here’s the checklist:
- The height of your chair should correspond with the length of your thigh, and its seat should be firm.
- Your buttocks should fill no less than 2/3 of the chair.
- The back of your chair should fit your spine.
- Lean on the chair with your back so that your spine is placed firmly against it.
- Make sure your shoulder blades are brought together, your shoulders are on the same level, and your stomach is relaxed.