If you’re having a hard time managing your mental health with HS, you’re not alone. One-quarter of people with HS live with a mental health condition like depression or anxiety. While you get treated for the physical symptoms of HS, learn how to manage the emotional symptoms, too. Here are eight tips to help you address any mental health issues you have, and live better with this condition.
1. Get effective treatment for your hidradenitis suppurativa
While there’s no cure for HS, medications and lifestyle changes can bring down the lumps, manage your pain, and prevent scarring and odors. Relieving these symptoms may make it easier for you to get out and be social again.
A dermatologist can recommend the right treatment for you based on the severity of your disease.
Treatments for mild HS include:
- antibacterial and antiseptic soaps
- acne washes
- anti-inflammatory medications like ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin) and naproxen (Aleve)
- warm compresses and baths
Treatments for moderate HS include:
- anti-inflammatory medications
- corticosteroids, such as prednisone
- adalimumab (Humira)
- acne drugs
- birth control pills