The sciatic nerve is the longest and widest single nerve in your body that goes from your lower back down to your foot. If it’s irritated, or pinched, you may suffer from sciatica, a type of severe pain that usually goes down one of your legs. Among other symptoms, you may experience a feeling of weakness, numbness, a burning sensation, or tingling in the affected leg and foot. If not treated properly, this condition can seriously affect the quality of your life by causing poor movement and balance.
We made a list of the most effective ways to treat sciatic nerve pain that will help you ease this condition without taking any medicine.
10. Hamstring stretching
The initial position: sitting on the floor with your right leg stretched out in front of you and your left leg bent at the knee while the sole of your left foot is placed against your right inner thigh.
What to do:
- Keeping your right knee straight, extend your arms toward your right foot and bend at the waist as far as possible.
- Hold for about 15-30 seconds and return to the initial position.
Repeat: 3 times for both legs
This stretch works directly with your hamstring muscles and may help you ease the pain and tightness in them caused by sciatica.
9. The bird-dog exercise
The initial position: standing on all fours with your hands directly under your shoulders and your knees directly under your hips.
What to do:
- Keeping your back and pelvis still and stable, extend your right arm forward and left leg back.
- Hold for a second, then return to the initial position.
- Repeat on the other side.
Repeat: 10-15 times
This exercise will help you maintain proper posture, take some pressure off your lower back, and strengthen your glutes.